Were You Injured By a Drunk Driver in the Houston Area? Our Houston DWI Accident Attorneys Can Help
Unfortunately, drunk driving remains a serious public safety issue in Texas. Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) reports that 1,438 people were killed in DUI accidents in the state in 2017 alone, and many more innocent people suffered serious, sometimes catastrophic injuries in drunk driving accidents. Victims deserve justice, accountability, and full and fair personal injury compensation.
At the Milano Legal Group Accident Attorneys, our Houston drunk driving accident lawyer knows how to hold impaired drivers and their insurers accountable. We are committed to making the personal injury claims process as easy and painless as possible for plaintiffs.
If you or your family member was seriously hurt in a collision with an intoxicated driver, you need professional legal representation. To set up a free, completely confidential review of your DUI accident claim, please contact our Houston law office today.
What to Do After Being Hit By a Drunk Driver in Houston, TX
Following a crash with a drunk driver, injured victims need to know how to protect their legal rights. If you or your loved one was involved in a traffic accident with a suspected drunk driver, you should be sure to do the following four things:
- Seek Medical Attention: Emergency medical needs require attention. If you suffered a severe injury, you should accept an ambulance ride to the nearest emergency room. Mild or moderate injuries should also be checked by a well-qualified doctor. You may be more injured than you recognize. Beyond that, you must see a doctor before bringing any DUI accident injury claim.
- Call the Police: Under Texas state law, an auto accident that results in injuries must be reported to law enforcement. This is especially important if you believe your wreck was caused by a drunk driver or drugged driver. Call a state or local law enforcement agency immediately.
- Collect Relevant Information: To the best of your ability, you should try to secure any relevant evidence at the scene of the DUI accident. For example, try to take photographs, record or video, and get the name and phone number of any eyewitnesses. When you bring a personal injury claim, this evidence will be important.
- Contact a DUI Accident Lawyer: If you suffered a serious injury in a drunk driving accident, you need an experienced attorney on your side. Do not go up against the big insurance company all by yourself. Our Houston, TX drunk driving accident lawyer is standing by, ready to help.
Statute of Limitations in DUI Accident Claims
Under Texas law (Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code § 16.003(a)), DUI accident injury claims are subject to a two-year statute of limitations. If you fail to file a lawsuit within 24 months of the drunk driving wreck, your claim can be dismissed without a hearing. Do not allow this to happen. Protect your legal rights by reaching out to an experienced Houston DUI accident lawyer as soon as possible after a crash.
Understanding Impaired Driving Laws in Texas
Under Texas law, the maximum allowable blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is 0.08. If a person operates a motor vehicle while above the legal limit, they are breaking the law.
That being said, being below the legal limit is not an absolute defense against a DUI claim. Texas has strict impaired driving laws. Drivers who are simply “buzzed”, who are on drugs, or who are otherwise impaired by a foreign substance should be held legally liable for an accident.
Drunk driving is negligent driving. Under Texas law (Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code Ann. § 33.001), injured victims have the legal right to bring a civil lawsuit against an intoxicated driver and that driver’s insurance company.
Remember, criminal proceedings will not get you the financial compensation you deserve. Though evidence in a criminal trial may be relevant, you should hire a top-rated DUI accident lawyer who can build a successful personal injury claim.
Injured Victims Deserve Full Financial Compensation
Under Texas law, injured victims have a right to seek financial support for both economic losses and intangible damages. Though, in practice, getting access to compensation can be a difficult task.
Most DUI accident injury claims are defended by giant insurance companies. Insurance adjusters are aggressive — they want to limit the value of a settlement. Our Houston, TX drunk driving accident attorney will help you maximize your recovery. You may be eligible to obtain financial damages for:
- Emergency medical care;
- Other hospital or medical bills;
- Long-term physical rehabilitation;
- Mental health treatment;
- Lost wages;
- Loss of earning potential;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress;
- Disfigurement or scarring;
- Physical impairment or disability; and
- Wrongful death damages.
Notably, in some especially severe drunk driving accident cases, injured victims are granted punitive damages. Officially referred to as ‘exemplary damages’ within the Texas state statutes, punitive damages are a form of compensation that is designed to punish the highly reckless, irresponsible, or egregious conduct of the defendant.
Why Choose Milano Legal Group Accident Attorneys
You need a personal injury lawyer who has experience handling DUI accident claims. At the Milano Legal Group Accident Attorneys, we are a small firm that offers every client the same sophisticated, effective legal representation that the nation’s largest law firms offer to their most valuable clients. Our Houston drunk driving accident lawyer is prepared to:
- Conduct a free, comprehensive review of your DUI accident case;
- Investigate the drunk driving crash, securing relevant evidence;
- Negotiate with the insurance company for a full settlement; and
- Build a strong, winning personal injury claim.
Our law firm is dedicated to protecting the legal rights and financial interests of motor vehicle accident victims. We will help you recover the maximum DUI accident compensation — whether that is through a settlement or a personal injury lawsuit.
Speak to Our Houston, TX DUI Accident Attorney Today
At the Milano Legal Group Accident Attorneys, our Texas DUI accident lawyer is committed to providing strong and effective legal representation to injured victims. If you or your family member was hurt in a crash with an impaired driver, we are here to help.
To set up a free, fully confidential consultation with a top-rated car accident lawyer, please contact us today. From our office in Houston, we serve communities throughout Southeast Texas, including Galveston, Sugar Land, Baytown, and Pasadena.