Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Insurance – Do you need it?

Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist insurance coverage offers drivers the peace of mind of knowing that if they are involved in an accident with someone who doesn’t have any insurance or sufficient insurance to cover damage to their car or pay their medical bills, they are covered.

In Texas, motorists are required to carry minimum liability insurance of $30,000 per injured person, $60,000 for all injured persons per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident ($30k/$60k/$25k). However, many drivers in Texas do not even carry the minimum coverage. According to the Insurance Research Council, 12% – 15% of Texas drivers are uninsured. In addition to the many drivers driving without any insurance are those who are driving with only the state minimums. This obviously becomes a problem very quickly when a driver with only minimum liability is the at-fault party in an accident involving extensive medical expenses and property damage. The innocent party in this case, is left to bear the expenses caused by the at-fault driver. In addition, in most cases the at-fault driver does not have assets available to compensate the innocent party outside of their insurance coverage. For this reason it is important that drivers purchase uninsured/underinsured coverage for both property damage insurance and bodily injury. According to Texas law, the victim of an accident caused by an uninsured/underinsured motorist will only need to pay a nominal $250 deductible for their damages. Additionally, when making a claim under an insured’s uninsured coverage, the burden of proving fault in this case falls on the innocent driver’s insurance company to prove that they were at fault or that the responsible party did in fact have insurance.

This type of coverage is ideal in hit-and-run situations. Also, it may apply when you are a pedestrian and are hit by a vehicle without any or insufficient insurance. It applies if you are the passenger in a car who is hit by an uninsured/underinsured driver, as well.

If you were involved in an accident and have questions regarding underinsured/underinsured motorist coverage, call us at 713-489-4270 for a FREE consultation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *